Social Sunday Program:
October 30 – December 4, 2022
This 6-week group encourages kids to build a positive relationship with literacy by making interest-based connections to reading in the real world. We work in small groups to develop and practice social behaviour in a supported setting, while learning some valuable bonus skills, enjoying lunch together, and having a ton of fun!
Kids aged 4-10
(Ask us about Junior Literacy Coach opportunities for kids aged 11-14!)
Sundays from 10am – 1pm, including lunch*
October 30 – December 4, 2022
(*Please ensure you have filled out our allergy waiver and let us know about any dietary restrictions or requirements)
This six-week SocialSunday program is aimed at building a love of literacy, and in some cases, repairing the relationship kids have with reading due to tough early experiences of shame or frustration around learning to read. We use games, fun activities, challenges, reading aloud together, and enjoying some really great stories to show how reading can unlock all kind of awesome opportunities for FUN! Older kids will have an opportunity to ‘learn by teaching’ in a way that respects their age and stage.
- Practice recognizing sight words in real life situations (eg scavenger hunts)
- Practice sequencing (eg first/then activities, unscrambling step-by-step instructions to complete a fun challenge)
- Following recipes to create delicious treats in the kitchen
- Following instructions to make slime, create crafts etc
- Listening to funny stories and reading out loud with a coach
- Planning, writing and producing your very own book!
144 Wilson St E, Ancaster
What to Bring:
- Dress for the weather! Make sure you’re prepared to be in the great outdoors in the rain, snow or sunshine! We often take literacy to the great outdoors.
- Feel free to send a spare set of clothes/shoes in a clearly labelled backpack if this is a concern
- Clearly labelled waterbottle
- An awesome attitude!
Financial Commitment & Billing:
- 6 week commitment – $600
- We also offer an SLP/OT assessment package for $400 which will generate a personalized report on areas of need and suggested next steps with speech, language, communication, executive function and fine motor skills as they relate to literacy (often covered under a separate category in private benefit plans).
- Full program cost is due on registration and will be held on credit in your account
- Each week you will be sent a paid receipt for $100 via email (usually within 24-48hrs of each session) billed under the supervising social worker
- Non-attended sessions may not be covered by your insurer; families are responsible for the cost of the six week program regardless of attendance
- This program is designed and run by social workers and executive function coaches with input from a variety of therapeutic disciplines including SLP and OT. It can be covered by many private benefit plans under social work.
- If you have any questions about billing or want help interpreting your benefit plan, please email your questions to our accounts specialist at email@example.com
- Please talk to us if you require alternate billing arrangements