Daily Therapeutic Skills Program
Mondays – Awesome Arts (With OT Emma Greenberg)
Handwriting, fine motor skills and executive function via all things artistic with our Occupational Therapist! Program weaves handwriting, scissor use, and other fine motor skills into culinary adventures, crafts, drawing, painting and music
Tuesdays – Hands On (With SLP Asia Laviolette)
Speech, language, social communication and literacy activities with our Speeech Lanaguage Pathologist. Speech & literacy doesn’t have to be boring – we get interactive and get our whole bodies involved with activities, challenges and crafts!
Wednesdays – Growing Together
Social skills development with our Social Worker and Behaviour Coaches via animal care & interaction, DBT-based distress tolerance skills, gardening, building projects, preparing a meal together
Thursdays – Work it Out
Sport-based gross motor skills with Behaviour Coach and Fitness Instructor, sensory experiences, balance, obstacles, outdoor adventures and mindful movement
Fridays – Forest Fridays
Mindful nature exploration in our local forest trails, nature observation and immersion
The therapeutic skills sessions take place from 4.15-5.45pm daily, with input from various professionals, and can be attended as a stand-alone program for $60/session, OR if you are staying for the full after school program with care available from 3.30-6.30pm, the cost is $75/day which includes this session – amazing value for your therapeutic dollar!
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by options and you’re not sure where to start, the best place to begin is always with a conversation! When we get to know you, we can help guide you towards the support that will have the most positive impact in your day-to-day life. Give us a call at 289 678 0581 and we can help craft a support plan that fits your family’s needs.
Full After School Program Details
This comprehensive wraparound support program for kids aged 3+ is designed to provide busy families juggling extra challenges with a safe, supported ‘home away from home’ for their children during the school year. We eat, play and learn together in a safe and structured environment, and spend as much time as possible outdoors in the fresh air.
At NowWhat we want kids to feel like people, not projects. Kids with extra challenges, especially neuro-divergent kids, have often experienced fragmented, compartmentalized support, where a professional focuses on one ‘problem’ without seeing the whole person and their context.
Here, we take a strengths-based, joyful, wraparound family systems approach to social & emotional health. You don’t need a diagnosis to come learn and practice helpful skills and strategies in this playful and supportive community. Our SkillBuilders kids find a safe place and a sanctuary at NowWhat, where they are seen as whole people with something amazing to contribute to the world.
The after school program includes:
- Flexible pickup from approved local schools (including walking pickup from St Anne’s, Spring Valley & Rousseau with rides in inclement weather)
- After school snack and dinner included
- Homework help zone
- Joining in on the daily therapeutic skills group that runs from 4.15-5.45pm
- Plenty of outdoor time
- Certified Teacher, Social Worker, RECE, SLP, OT and Behaviour Coaches running programming
How much does it cost and how is it billed?
- The daily therapeutic skills sessions (4.15 – 5.45pm) are $60/session with a rolling 6 week commitment
- The full after school program (care available from 3.30 – 6.30pm) is $75/day – this includes the daily skills session and an optional dinner. Book your preferred days for the term in advance
- We are flexible to work with families around school pick up times, and serve a simple supper to kids who are staying beyond 6pm
- A credit card is required on file, with paid receipts emailed weekly for you to submit to your insurance company
- Programs can be covered by most extended benefit plans, we have MSW, SLP, OT involved in programming
- OAP and SSAH funds may also be used if you have these available to you
How do you register?
If you’re new to NowWhat, your first step is to book an intake by calling 289 678 0581 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get to know you and make sure this is the right fit for your family’s needs.
Once you’ve completed your intake, you may register for individual skills sessions (rolling 6 week commitment), or for anywhere from 1 to the full 5 after school sessions per week, for whichever weeks you require in the school term. Feel free to Contact Us with any questions or to register for your preferred days and weeks. Please also send us your school details if you are enquiring about our pickup service. Keep in mind we have limited slots available each day and registering in advance is advised.
What are the therapeutic goals?
This program is designed to help your children:
- Build and maintain positive relationships
- Develop resilience & flexibility
- Cope with stress & change
- Manage anxiety & fears around re-entry into the post-pandemic world
- Learn about our brain-body connections
- Work on specific skill sets such as fine/gross motor skills (handwriting, beading, obstacle courses etc) or speech & language development
- Keep active bodies and brains engaged, curious and learning
- Regulate big emotions and manage sensory loads
- Take another perspective
- Interact with their peers in a safe, supported environment
- Have a boatload of FUN with friends!
Private support sessions for your child also available with (additional fees apply):
- Ontario Certified Teachers
- Social workers
- Speech Langauge Therapist
- Registered ECEs
- Executive Function Specialists
- Behaviour Coaches
- Child Life Specialist
Contact us to book your preferred days and weeks and get your child building skills for life!