Who is it for?
- All kids from JK – Grade 4 (flexible depending on needs) who could use additional literacy support to improve their reading and writing skills
- Anyone who wants to help their child build the confidence, competence and joy that comes when you finally ‘crack the code’ of reading!
- Children with diagnosed or suspected ADHD or Learning Disabilities
- Typically developing children who struggled with online learning and have disengaged
- For safety reasons, participants must be able to follow simple instructions, toilet independently, be physically safe within a group and be independently mobile – please Talk to us if your child may require extra support to participate
What is involved?
Our Literacy program runs on Wednesdays from 4.15 – 5.45pm for 8 weeks. This comprehensive, individualized program is designed to bridge any gaps in foundational literacy that may have developed during the interrupted school years during the pandemic, to build confidence, and to discover a love of reading through interest-based activities, through the lens of emotional regulation and distress tolerance.
Prior to the 8 weeks of group sessions, your child will assessed in the following areas:
- Fine Motor skills/handwriting assessment with our Occupational Therapist
- Speech, language & communication assessment with our Speech Language Therapist
Dates and times to book these assessments are flexible and will be booked individually with each family prior the start of the group.
Our literacy program includes:
- Hands-on literacy-focused activities including things like baking, building, scavenger hunts, sewing and craft projects
- Small-group opportunities to read aloud as a group
- Individual reading support
- A tactile approach to literacy and handwriting
- Social Thinking undertones including strategies that support focus and attentional skills, self-regulation and mindfulness
- Literacy development based on individual interests
- Developing skills using a variety of mediums
Our team of therapists include:
- Social workers
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Language Therapist
- Registered ECEs
- Behaviour Coaches
So we can help your children learn how to:
- Identify and utilize letters, letter sounds and vocabulary
- Improve elementary reading skills
- Gain a sense of independence and ownership over academic success
- Develop a love of reading as the key to unlock other preferred activities
Where & when is it happening?
- 144 Wilson St E, Ancaster
- 2 x 1:1 assessment sessions booked individually with each family prior to the beginning of the program (for new clients – returning LitUp participants don’t need to repeat these assessments)
- Tuesday afternoon group sessions from 4.15 – 5.45pm for 8 weeks
- Summer course runs July 5 to August 23, 2022
How much does it cost & how is it billed?
- Total program cost is $900 (including the OT and SLP assessments)
- $300 deposit due on registration, applied to individual OT & SLP sessions
- Program is billed in weekly instalments of $75 for the 8 weeks of group sessions
- Paid receipts are emailed weekly for you to submit to your insurance company
- Course can be covered by most extended benefit plans under MSW and/or SLP/OT
- Talk to us if you require alternate arrangements
How do I register?
- Give us a call at 289 678 0581 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are brand new to NowWhat, we’ll set up a complimentary 30 minute intake to answer any questions
- Feel free to have a chat with front desk to ask questions and work out the best option for your family!
Forms & Waivers
- New clients need to fill out a general clinic Intake Form, Service Agreement, OT and SLP consents which will be emailed to you after you reach out to front desk