Who is it For?
- Kids aged 4-10 and 11-14yrs (two age groups)
- Kids who would benefit from a non-threatening, active, interesting environment to develop and practice social-emotional & executive function skills
- Kids who love animals, nature, gardening, building projects, cooking and forest exploration
- Kids who would enjoy making connections with others in a small, supported group setting
When is it happening?
- Summer sessions run on Wednesdays from July 6th, 2022, from 4.30-6.30pm
- Includes trips to the local farmers market, and making and enjoying a meal together!
Where is it held?
- The clinic is located at 144 Wilson St E, Ancaster, between Halson & Jerseyville, as well as the surrounding community & trails
- We will be largely outdoors for this program so – dress for the weather!
What is involved?
This is a fun, active two hours full of practical life skills application through a range of seasonal ‘urban farming’ style activities. We’ll try our hand at gardening, small building projects, animal care and interaction, meal planning and food preparation. The program includes preparing food, as well as a good mix of direct and indirect therapeutic skill development (DBT-based skills) with built-in opportunities to use the tools they’re hearing about in real time.
Our goals are to help kids learn & practice:
- Self-regulation techniques that work for them
- Executive function skills (mental organization, sequencing & planning tasks)
- Dealing with discomfort, transitions & non-preferred tasks
- Integrating new sensory and taste experiences in our food choices
- Positive self-talk & self-esteem
- Respectful communication & social negotiation within a group
- Setting & respecting boundaries
- Making (and being) good friends
- Respect and care for our environment and local ecosystem
How much does it cost?
- The program cost is $75 per week. Summer sessions are flexible booking! Book as many days as you can make this season.
- This program can be covered under many benefit plans (talk to us about using your OAP or SSAH funds if you have access to these)
- A credit card number is required to be kept on file and is charged within 48hrs of each session (please talk to us if you require alternate arrangements)
- Paid receipts are emailed weekly for you to submit to your insurance company
- Late cancellations (less than 24hrs notice) and no-notice cancellations are billed to the card on file; please note that receipts for unattended sessions may not be reimbursable by your insurance company.