What is involved?
This group centers around an 8-week Dungeons and Dragons (tabletop role-playing game) campaign – beginners and seasoned players are welcome! D&D is a classic role-playing game (think Stranger Things) with a huge global following. It can become a life-long avenue for kids to ‘find their people’. All supplies are provided, no experience is necessary.
Our Speech Language Therapist, Executive Function coach, and experienced Dungeon Master will guide participants through the game as they develop and practice a range of speech, language, and communication, social and emotional DBT-informed skills including:
- Regulating emotions using new skills as gameplay rolls out in unexpected or non-preferred ways
- Managing through distress and conflict when decisions are made within the game that aren’t popular
- Perspective-taking through imaginary characters and theoretical situations, as well as in real life with the other players
- Communicating clearly with others and using language effectively to discuss strategy, negotiate, compromise, and set boundaries
- Flexible thinking, adapting to a constantly changing situation, transitioning focus
- Building positive, respectful relationships with peers
- An initial character-building session that will help us think about our values, our identity, and the group expectations
Who is it for?
- We will group by age per registration for 10-12-year-olds and 13-16-year-olds
- This group would suit kids who would benefit from social-emotional learning in a small, supported social setting that appeals to their interests and passions
- Kids who would benefit from opportunities to practice their ‘social fluency’ among peers in a non-threatening environment
Where & when is it happening?
- 144 Wilson St E, Ancaster
- Sundays from 1.30 – 3 pm
- October 23 – December 11, 2022
- 1-hr INTRO SESSION: October 16 from 1.30 – 2.30 pm – come get oriented, meet the facilitators and build your character in advance!
How much does it cost & how is it billed?
- $40 for the initial 1-hr intro session on Sunday, October 16th to build your character and meet your facilitators
- $75 per session with a commitment to the full 8 weeks, spaces are limited
- A valid credit card is required on file on registration, and is charged weekly/per session
- Paid receipts are emailed weekly for you to submit to your insurance company
- Most extended benefit plans can cover this group under MSW or SLP – let us know which you will be claiming under in advance
How do I register?
- Give us a call at 289 678 0581 or send us an email at email@example.com
- If you are brand new to NowWhat, we’ll set up a complimentary intake to ensure this program is a good fit for your youth or teen
- Feel free to have a chat with the front desk to ask questions and work out the best option for your family – we have lots going on around here!
Forms & Waivers
- If you’re new to NowWhat, you’ll need to fill out a general clinic Intake Form and Service Agreement which will be emailed to you after you reach out to the front desk