Upcoming Dates & Summer Camp:
Summer Sessions: 8 weeks – Grouped by age (ages 8-25!):
Monday, July 10 – August 28:
3:30-5:00 & 5:30-7:00
Tuesday, July, 11 – Aug 29:
3:30-5.00 & 5:30-7:00
Wednesday, July 12 – August 30:
3:30 – 5:00
ADD ME TO THE WAITLIST
D&D Summer Camp:
Monday, August 14 – Thursday, August 17 from 9:30 am – 3.30 pm
ADD ME TO THE WAITLIST
What is involved?
Each group centers around an exciting original Dungeons and Dragons campaign. Beginners and seasoned players are welcome! D&D is a classic role-playing game (think Stranger Things) with a huge global following. It can become a life-long avenue for kids to find their people and their passion! All supplies are provided, and no experience is necessary.
Two individual sessions with the facilitator are included in the group package – one before the group starts, and one after it wraps up, to set personal goals and reflect on growth zones. (Returning players can skip the orientation/initial session and will just have one individual session after the group ends).
Our Executive Function coach and experienced Dungeon Master Ron will guide participants through the game as they develop and practice a range of communication, social, and emotional DBT-informed skills including:
- Regulating emotions using new skills as gameplay rolls out in unexpected or non-preferred ways
- Managing through distress and conflict when a decision is made within the game that isn’t popular
- Perspective-taking both via imaginary characters and theoretical situations, as well as in real life with the other players and the Dungeon Master
- Communicating clearly with others and using language effectively to discuss strategy, negotiate, compromise, and set boundaries
- Flexible thinking, adapting to a constantly changing situation, transitioning focus & attention
- Building positive, respectful relationships with peers and making good friends
- Experiencing ‘safe consequences’ in a supported environment
- A 45-minute initial 1:1 character-building session that will help us think about our values, our identity, and personal goals
- A 45-minute closing 1:1 session at the end of the group to reflect on areas of growth and challenge
Check out This Article from John Hopkins University about why Dungeons & Dragons is an excellent format for group therapy!
Our new D&D Summer Camp offering combines all the best of the above in an intensive 4-day program, with time for extended gameplay in the afternoons PLUS modules on character building, costume making, and creative writing – full of opportunities to communicate clearly and self-regulate in social situations, identify and express emotions, and practice executive function skills.
Who is it for?
- Everyone from age 8-25! Register your interest as we are always building groups.
- This group would suit kids who want to level up their social-emotional skills in a small, supported social setting that engages their interests and passions
- Fantastic opportunity for young adults looking to keep building their social problem-solving, negotiation, communication, and self-advocacy skills in a real-life setting
Where is it happening?
- 144 Wilson St E, Ancaster & surrounding trails and parks
How much does it cost & how is it billed?
- 8-week group program (including 2 x 45-min 1:1 sessions) total cost is $800
- For returning players with just one individual session included, the total package cost is $700
- The 4-day summer camp program is $850 (including material costs)
- The full cost of the program will be billed to you on registration (valid credit card required on file, or full e-transfer)
- Paid receipts are emailed weekly for you to submit to your insurance company
- Per our group billing policy, we are unable to offer refunds for missed group sessions
- Most extended benefit plans can cover this group under MSW (Social Work)
How do I register?
- Give us a call at 289 678 0581 or send us an email at email@example.com
- If you are brand new to NowWhat and have kids under 16, we’ll set up a complimentary intake to ensure this program is a good fit for your kiddo!
- Feel free to call in and have a chat with the front desk to ask questions and work out the best option for your family – we have lots going on around here all year, and building social fluency is a key goal in every one of our children’s programs!