Thanks for your interest in our
Summer Circus Workshop, teaching social communication & language skills through circus performing!
Who is it For?
- Kids aged 4 and up
- Physically active kids who love to MOVE their bodies!
- Kids who could benefit from an opportunity to improve their social communication skills
- Kids who have been in speech therapy before for specific challenges, and could use the active practice
- Kids who have not been in speech therapy before, but whose parents have noticed possible speech and/or communication delays
When is it happening?
- August 30th – September 3rd, 2021
- 1-4pm daily
Where is it held?
- The clinic is located at 144 Wilson St E, Ancaster, between Halson & Jerseyville
- We follow strict Covid safety protocols
What is involved?
This unique and exciting program, led by Professional Aerialist and Speech Language Pathologist Asia Laviolette and supported by our enthusiastic Behaviour Coaches, is all about social communication and language. Asia will be teaching circus-themed activities such as:
- Aerial silks
- Creating and balancing on our own stilts
These activities will be a vehicle to teach effective social skills, and address speech and language challenges in a fun, engaging context where no one feels singled out – and it feels more like play than practice! Skilled socialization and clear communication are life’s most foundational skills, and many children are finding they could use a social-skills refresher after a year of isolation, before heading back into the world of in-person learning this fall.
Because of the physical nature of the activities, and the inherent risks involved in using aerial rigging which will be set up in the trees in the backyard by a professional, parents will be required to sign a waiver in order for children to participate. All safety precautions will be observed and no child will be exposed to unneccessary risk. Asia will evaluate each child’s capabilities and tailor the activites to their developmental stage. Please talk to us if you have any concerns or feel your child may need extra support or accomodations to participate.
Our therapeutic goals are to:
Improve social communication skills including:
- Turn taking & negotation
- Social problem solving
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Perspective taking
- Expected behaviours
As well as this we will be creating opportunities to target specific speech & language challenges. Our thorough SLP intake process will help identify the needs of the group members so Asia can plan to focus on relevant needs such as speech articulation, expressive and receptive language, speech motor skills, working memory etc.
How much does it cost?
- The program cost is $500
- The financial commitment is for the full week workshop
- Participants are billed for each session after they are attended
- Course can be covered under many benefit plans (SLP)
- A credit card number is required to be kept on file, with paid receipts emailed after each session is attended for submission to your insurance company. Alternatively, an e-transfer for the full cost of the course can be emailed in advance (please talk to us if you require alternate arrangements)